In 1901 Bendigo began work on its Victorian Gold Jubilee Exhibition - the market buildings (portion of the Market Square) surrounded by Lyttleton Terrace, Williamson St and Hargreaves St with the Town Hall were divided into 8 "courts". Courts 6, 7 and 8 were on the Mundy St side of the town hall. These held the machinery, waxworks and mineral exhibitions. The whole area was all fenced in and an electric railway ran around the inside perimeter. The main entrance was an archway from Bull Street into the town hall (picture gallery and concert hall). National Library of Australia Check out the seating...and yes it's electric, check out the wiring just above the passenger’s heads. It’s good they are wearing hats!
|